Friday, December 20, 2013

DESIGNER JOURNAL: Finding Inspiration

My Design Journal where I gather inspiration and create new ideas

Finding Inspiration is the most important aspect of creating a new collection. It is the base that each piece is designed on and without your base, nothing is truly grounded or complete.

But where do you find inspiration? Can you even run out? 

No. Sounds cheesy but inspiration is everywhere. It can come from a new experience, architecture, or nature. Every designer gathers inspiration differently and the way it's interpreted can define a collection.  

The Salt Lake City Library is such a pretty building with great lines.

I personally get my inspiration from new chapters in my life, new experiences, and new places. 

For example, I took up tango with my husband which inspired me to create a tango-inspired collection that balanced the sensuality and comfort of dance-wear with the fashion-forward edge of street-wear. 



While designing my debut collection, I was going through a painful custody battle with my ex and was struggling to stay thick-skinned, unwavering, and strong while still being a patient, loving, and hands-on mother. I was playing the "mother" and the "father" role and was learning to balance both extremes in character. My struggle manifested itself in the form of strong black leather masculine pieces contrasted with light lace and femininity. 






Every collection is personal and a peek into my personal world. It's scary to put new work out there sometimes and not take criticism personally because so much of "you" has gone into creating it... but as a designer I would never have it any other way. 

 Finding inspiration is all about stepping outside comfort zones, developing new talents, and going new places. Inspiration can really be anywhere and gathered endless ways, this is just how I develop mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment